Popular Post

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Wanna-Bees at The Robin Collective

With cave paintings depicting humans harvesting honey around 8000 years ago it doesn't get any more vintage than this! My dear friend Robin of The Robin Collective invited me to 'The Hive' - his latest pop-up event in celebration of bees.




Pretty terrified that I might get stung by bees like Macaulay Culkin in 'My Girl' I was quickly reassured by the team.




Sarah Butler from Violet Iris Thrift Creations kindly invited me to make my very own Beeswax lip balm. Yesterday she was making beeswax candles but naturally people wanted to leave before they were set. I felt like I was on Blue Peter, but was secretly rather enjoying myself!



You could choose your own lipbalm flavour - vanilla, peppermint, honey - I opted for chocolate hmm. It reminded me of crafts you made in school and took home for your mum. Your mum pretended to look delighted with it & threw whatever it was away when she thought you'd forgotten about it.



Refreshments included homemade honey cake, mead or honey beer with jars of Kings Cross honey available to take home. Be-suited City types made a bee line for the beer and crawled into the fairy-lit hive to recline on the astro-turf, which is surprisingly comfortable with the added advantage of not getting ants in your pants.




Robin persuaded me to adopt a bee costume which I thought looked rather fetching until it came to trying to take it off! People passing the shop would have seen two people dressed as bees in a strange tug of war.



You can visit The Hive until Sunday 27th March. The Robin Collective are a very friendly bunch, I admire their 70's hippy attitude to life. The bee community in this country is now a minority, having fallen by 60% since 1970. Clearly something needs to bee done!! It is reassuring to find events like The Hive in this grim commercial world. You should follow them on facebook to stay updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment